Do You Love Life and Good Days?
The Lord directed me to this passage when I found myself drowning in depression caused by painful, caustic relationships that I didn’t know how to turn around. I went on a solitary retreat to cry out to the Lord for help.
His answer to me was 1 Peter 3:8-9–plus following verses, but those two verses were particularly life-giving to me. Through them, the Lord assured me that He was aware of my pain, and that He wanted to bless me, not harm me. In them He also gave me clear guidelines as to what He wanted from me in response to the antagonism and unfairness that I was experiencing.
God said to me:
“Finally, all of you:
- Be of one mind, having compassion for one another;
- Love as brothers,
- Be tenderhearted,
- Be courteous;
- Not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling,
- but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing” (vv. 8-9)
“For He who would love life and see good days:
- Let him refrain his tongue from evil, And his lips from speaking deceit.
- Let him turn away from evil and do good;
- Let him seek peace and pursue it.
For the eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayers; But the face of the LORD is against those who do evil.” (1 Pet. 3:8-12)
Do you love life and want to see good days, but you aren’t experiencing it now? Don’t give up! If you are seeking the Lord, He is with you and will not leave you. Hang in there and follow these guidelines, and you will–in His time–inherit a blessing. For you were called for this!